Founded by Carolyn Clewer, the Essex girl and Parisienne, Tiphaine de Lussy, Paris Essex is the result of years of collaboration between the two knitwear and textiles specialists, which began over 20 years ago at the Royal College of Art.
Paris Essex revisits the craft and clichés of knitting and crochet, playing with combinations of hand and machine techniques. The partnership has a long history rooted in fashion, with an archive including knitwear and accessory collections and collaborations. They share a visual language and are drawn to the materials, processes and pace of fashion, the continual reinvention and juxtaposition of ideas. The latest chapter of this adventure is the creation of narratives in a space where distinctions between craft, design, high art and low culture are blurred.
A Paris Essex "Crazy Blanket" represents a creative dialogue between Clewer and de Lussy; the two take it in turns to play with crochet and knit, using luxurious blends of mohair, wool and super-synthetics.
Each blanket is individually created by the duo, taking on its own personality as it grows organically and fluidly. The process is more akin to collage or patchwork than meticulously planned design. With names such as "Heebie Jeebie", "Zig Zag Bunny" and "Miss Harlow" each blanket tells its own story, mixing in patterns, shapes and characters.
For sales, commissions, press, collaborations and consultancy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Exhibitions and shows:
· “TOBV Summer Exhibition” Aug-Sept 2018. The Old Bank Vault London E2 .http://www.theoldbankvault.com
· "Step Into Paradise: Kinda Couture" Romance Was Born A/W 18-19. 2nd July 2018. 14 Rue de Trévise 75009 Paris. www.vogue.com
· "Flash Sightings" 3rd-13th May 2018. The Old Bank Vault London E2 .http://www.theoldbankvault.com
· "New Narratives", 9-21 March 2018. hARTSlane Gallery, London UK www.hartslane.org
· "Figures of the City" International Exhibition of Creative Pattern. Nov.11-20, 2017. Invited by China Academy of Art and Hangzhou Municipal Government. Zhejiang Art Museum, Hangzhou, China.
· London Design Fair, Sept 2017 - Truman Brewery, London UK
· "Between Things",15 April- 20th June 2017. Curated by Kaavous Clayton and Ben Coode-Adams, The Minories, Colchester, UK
· Newtide Magazine Malasia , May 2018 No710, P.112
· That's Not My Age 18/4/18 . Creative Women at Work:Paris Essex
· Absolutely Home Magazine, March 2018. Women in Design p34-5
· House Beautiful Magazine. 8/3/18 IWD businesswomen https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/g19158617/international-womens-day-design-businesswomen/
· T Magazine Spain 6/3/18 The Designers of the Present. http://www.tmagazine.es/diseno/dia-internacional-de-la-mujer/2/
· Keitodama magazine, Japan. Feb 2018 vol 177 https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4529057917
· Cover Magazine. Issue 49 /Winter 2017. P43 http://shop.hali.com/issue/COVER049/winter-2017
· CNN style. 22/12/17. http://edition.cnn.com/style/article/festive-curios-for-design-lovers/index.html
· A Shaded View on Fashion. Interview by Diane Pernet 21/12/17. Interview
Blankets are for sale or by commission. Contact email@example.com for information.
There are currently a small number of blankets on sale at W.A.Green in Shoreditch, London. https://wagreen.co.uk/collections/throws and Koibird in Marylebone London W1 www.koibird.com
Collaborations and consultancy:
Paris Essex has collaborated with different manufacturers and designers. In the past few years, including a hand crafted showpiece for Romance Was Born "Kinda Couture' A/W 2018-19 show in Paris, 4/7/18,: Paris Essex worked with Wolsey as design consultants and designing a capsule range of mens knits . Also created interactive, customisable digital knit designs for www.unmade.com. Individually made-to-order on industrial knitting machines; the buyer can disrupt the colour, pattern and scale online at UMd studio. Interview feature: https://umd.studio/designers/paris-essex
Paris Essex is currently planning a creative collaboration with Kniterate http://www.kniterate.com.